danrevella

the right way to detect if a demo contain full prog

Hi!!!

F.e. Many time, looking at a demo/shareware prog  while debugging/dissasembly I have the impression that some "trial-restricted" function ARE in the prog but instead a nag is called, so f.e. the save function, export to pdf, etc.......

No registration box is present, if you want the full version you'll pay and get a link to the full version of prog, so I even don't know how to start......

Many tutorial give help to register a program, but what if registration is not present?

I have try also to capture windows messagges, but no luck.........

Maybe anyone may drive me on the right way?  

Thanks to all

There is no direct way that works for all, you have to manually check the code for each case, some developers compile the demo

versions with specific flags to remove some code in the demo version, but others simply call a msgbox or whatever when you try

to use a specific feature and then return from the code before going further into the feature code.

OK,

I understand: every prog may be different from another.

But I have found no tutorials about the argoment I propose: only ......... how to register a prog..... and I have NOT this possibility in this prog.

A pratical example: I'm actually in course of reversing a prog who generate splendid flowchart starting from code c/c++/autoit and many other language, but unfortunelly:

1 the save option (bmp/png/pdf) disabled

2 "copy to clipboard" option disabled

3 i have to disable all demo limitation while the flowchart is create: f.e. rotation, code deleted, watermark, etc.

Different problems, but in case 1)  I may try to write myself an utility to capture f.e. in bmp the entire contenute of a window. or try an utility who is able in performing this action (I have to precise that the window I would like to capture is always greater then my deskstop, f.e. I shoul save a 9400*8200 size so PrintScreen or similiar is NOT an option).

In case 2) what I think is that the program does hook a windows function and patch it, so inside the program pressing CTL-c -----------> goto the NAG bypassing Window original function

The case 3 is the only abbordable coz we may trace while the flowchart is generated and bypassing the nag calls

Any help, any ideas?  

Thanks for read me.

Danrevella

p.s. May I tell "I'm the good boy"? ----------------> according to forum rules I have not mentioned the name of this prog...... 🙂

I think I know that program, it was mentioned on exeTools, right ?

I don't know if the full code is inside that demo but it's not worth wasting time on it, someone said it's compiled with specific flags to

trim the important code, you have to depend on some hacky ways to steal the image from inside that ActiveX control

Ignore the application's main window, as it doesn't contain an instance of that activeX, open the editor and find the ActiveX window

ScreenShot00132.jpg

Main Windows --> Some Container --> ActiveX Window

So FindWindow ("", "Visustin Editor")

Then Find the Parent of the ActiveX : FindWindowEx("ThunderRT6UserControlDC")

Then Find the ActiveX handle finally : FindWindowEx("AfxOleControl42")

Once you grabbed the ActiveX hwnd, you can try some tricks to grab its contents

It won't be fun but you have to try and try till it works

you can find many examples on the web : https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/b51bc2ad-b99b-4a5b-840a-a50f08a2a2c4/window-form-how-to-print-panelthat-with-scrollbar-and-exceed-the-client-size-fill-the-form?forum=winforms

Good Luck ...

• Like 1

Mant thanks, but please a last question:

Do you mean that when I know the handle used by the prog I may utilize it in an external program written by me?

Before you go those dark paths, I recommend you find a copy of "Mercury QuickTest"

It's an automation and testing software, you can use it to get access to the activex
objects running in a foreign process, read and set their properties
and call their methods ....

I never heard about this program.

Really cool, so now I'll don't take the "dark side", but now I have a "new hope" .      many thanks.

Danrevella                   ((°J°))

Sometime is enough just read carefully homepage/help/documentation. You can find e.g. that for full version you need download extra install 😉

• Like 1

Many thanks to all,

after full examining at the best of my ability I'm now convinced that the  demo version does not include all code.... 😞

So now I'm concentrate on a new target (always a code to flowchart generation where something strange appears:

- demo version does NOT save to file, and permit only a few nested level  (this limitation I was able in patch it...) but is NOT buggy

- full version require a serial to register, and the guy who helped me even have supply to me the (pascal) source for the key generation, BTW:

the full version does register, but then the program: let us to save, but become absolute buggy as if this is intentional.

In other way, seems to me that the registration is a fake only to illuse the reverse that was able in crack the program; f.e. no more than 2 nested level are allowed, while the demo (patched by me ) have un unlimited number of level. So I'm convinced that the serial is checked in other (more hidden) way.

Did you find any other programs with this type of protection?

The worst thing about it is that it's written with VB classic, so debugging it is a nightmare

I didn't see the full version of this software, only the demo in the website is under my hands.

What do you mean "it becomes buggy" ?

We are speaking about 2 different software...

The first is the one you drive me to look it better with winspy.

The other software (always a code2flowchart) is that I suppose have got a FAKE registration procedure: who reverse this prog may be glad to have easy found the key, but in fact is NOT, so at this point the prog seems to be activate, but in fact crash after a few minutes you use it--------->IMO this situation is intentional from the programmer...... the classical " lark mirror ".

Am I just enabled to send PM?

otherways may I send here link to download programs?

p.s. I'm so silly......... please look the entire post on the other forum, you'll get the demo and the full version of the second prog........

Edited by danrevella
I forget to give an info

The 2nd one seems per-historic and buggy too !

I think you should get a full version of the first one, it seems more stable

Getting a full screen shot from the editor is not hard, If you need it so bad, you can get those shots you need for

your work or project, but this is just a sneaky method to do that 🙂

Untitled.jpg

Uhm.....

I have try but a full flowchart of my prog is 9400*8200 it's impossible to capture the full bmp.

BTW the second prog is interesting for the fake registration protection.

Maybe you didn't understand me.

I forced the flowchart object to call its "SaveImage" Method, so whatever the size of the chart, it will be copied to clipboard on your windows

first step : Install that testing software I told you about, it's about 600 MB but you will see how much power it gives you over that demo.

Make sure to install it in a VM and ask for a trial when asked to provide a license.

I have just tried with "Mercury QuickTest" , but after a record session, and forcing the prog to use its SAVEIMAGE function I obtain an error coz the function may not be called doing some wrong parameter.

BTW I'll retry with the other prog you have linked to me,...........  see you after the try.

Thanks

Upgrade: Maybe I don't understand what the program offers (seem to be more evolute then Mercury...), I have enabled the trial, create the script, recorded some session then trying to insert new event, but I wasn't able in obtaining anythingh.

Maybe a little pratical example with the program you know?  Thanks

Edited by danrevella
upgrade

1 - Create a new project

2 - Add a test step of type "Run TestedApp" and choose the visustin.exe as your app to test

3 - Right Click this step and execute it, now your app should be running

4 - Add the code your want to chart in the code window of visustin.exe

5 - Click "Create chart", after the chart is created you should open the editor window

6 - Add a second test step of type "Call Object Method" and choose the editor window as the object to invoke

7 - The parameters should be like this

ScreenShot00133.jpg

8 - While the editor window is still open, right click the 2nd test step and click "Run selected operation"

9 - your chart will be in the clipboard now, open paint or any other app you want and click paste to get the chart as an image.

ScreenShot00134.jpg

Many thanks,

I'll try, I didn't know the value of utilizing an app like "TestComplete" for reversing purpose.

At the moment here is the max I have obtained.......  It is a Cheat Engine table.

visustin.CT

Let me know if you got the screenshot for the chart.

• Like 1

I will try very deep in the week-end, many thanks for your effort.

At the moment i was able to remove the demo limitation: no rotation, no demo watermark, no code deleted (you may try with a C++ souces of your, not the short demo) but no progress related to save...

OK!!

I was able in getting the bmp image of my flowchart in the clipboard.

This means we may bypass the save to clipboard demo limitation, but now what is the next step?

I just was able in saving to bmp with a shareware program: GimeSpace3d.

The point is do you think that the code of the program is patchable?

I have try to put some breakpoint on windows messagges, but no luck.... 😞

If you're tired with this job, no prob: I may understand, even worse you have help me in a splendid way 🙂

Edited by danrevella
upgrade

Sorry I just read the edited post, nice work

Theoretically it's possible to add a button to force calling any of that ActiveX method, just like that testing application is doing

It injects several DLLs into the process when you start the test, and by checking the DLLs you can see it hooks many places

I will admit it's too much work and will require deep knowledge of the obsolete COM technology so I wouldn't go that far

A crippled version is crippled.

The point is do you think that the code of the program is patchable?

It is a bit hard, and is not patching, mainly you will have to implement save as image from scratch.